Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Simple present tense

Simple present tense is used to make a sentence about the present time. Present tense is used for the following conditions.

  • Permanent Fact: sentences stating a fact that is always valid / correct. 

Example: It is cold in winter. - The sun shines - Fish lives in water.

  •  Fact now: sentences stating the correct facts at the present time. 

Example: I work at home. - She plays the piano.

"I work at home" does not mean I'm working now, but it means that in the present conditions of my work at home.
- The action habit: I get up at 5:00 - They come here every day.
These actions are repeated on a regular basis, so it is considered as a reality now and is expressed in the Simple Present tense.
Here's an example of the verb "give" in the Simple Present:
Single
I give
You give
He gives
She gives
It gives
Plural
We give
You give
They give
Writing rules for the Simple Present verb tense
If we look above, you will see that the writing of the verb does not change, except for the third person singular (He, She, It), which added the verb "s". As Example "I eat - He eats".
Sometimes other writing rules for verb applies to He, She and It, which was not added "s" but "ice". Here are the rules:
Verb suffix
Verbs ending in-o plus -es
Verbs ending in-s plus -es
Verbs ending in-x plus -es
Verbs ending in CH plus -es
Verbs ending in -SH plus -es
-
Verbs ending in consonants and suffix-y change-y often be -ies:
Verbs such as "buy" does not have a consonant before the "y", so simply add-s
as usual.   Example
do - does, go - goes
-
pass - passes, kiss - kisses
-
fix - fixes, mix - mixes
match - matches, catch - catches
-
Push - pushes, rush - rushes
-
try - tries, cry - cries
-
buy - buys, pay - pays.

Example of use in conversation.
1) Hi, let me tell you about my daily routine. First, I get up at 8:00, then I brush my teeth, have a shower, and eat breakfast. I go to work at 8:50, and I start work at 9:30. Then I have lunch at 1:00, and finish work at 5:30. I go to bed at 11:00. That's my day!
2) Hi! My name is Sylvia. I come from Korea. I'm 24 years old, I'm tall and I have black hair. I like music and movies. I also like reading books. I play sports and I study English. I'm really happy to meet you!
3) Tyler, do you have a hobby?
Sure, I read books.
Oh, I like books as well. Do you watch TV?
Yes, I watch TV every day. I like drama and comedy programs.
I like the news. And I go to the gym as well.
Me too! Let's go together.
That sounds great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hosting Gratis